Since 1955, National Review magazine has defined the modern conservative movement and enjoys the broadest allegiance of American conservatives. National Review Institute was founded by William F. Buckley Jr. as a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) charitable organization in 1991. NRI’s mission is to advance the conservative principles he championed, complement the mission of the magazine, and support NR’s best talent.
The Institute’s educational programs bring together leaders in business, philanthropy, media, and policy to help strengthen the broader conservative movement, while also educating emerging leaders and our fellow citizens on the principles of a free society. Our partnership programs send NR’s best talent across the country, thereby amplifying and expanding the reach of the National Review mission. More information is available at www.nrinstitute.org.
About the Role
The Accounting and Operations Manager, based in Midtown, Manhattan, will be responsible for the accounting processes for NRI, a $6m non-profit organization, under the supervision of the VP of Finance and Operations. The Accounting and Operations Manager will also manage certain human resource-related functions including Payroll, the processing of employee on-boarding and termination, and some office operations functions of National Review Institute.
The people who work at NRI do so because they are passionate about our mission and advancing conservative principles. We are looking for an Accounting and Operations Manager who shares that passion and wants to be a part of our team. As a close-knit organization, NRI has an all-hands-on-deck attitude. The ideal candidate won’t think twice about going above and beyond the job description and will want to grow within the organization over the course of years.
Key responsibilities include:
- Perform the monthly financial close process including bookkeeping and account reconciliation
- Manage accounts payable for all vendors
- Prepare annual budget, perform periodic reforecasts, and track employee and program budgets
- Assist and support the preparation of the annual form 990
- Produce monthly financial statements and custom reports when required
- Manage employee on-boarding and terminations
- Process semi-monthly payroll and required payroll maintenance, and maintain HR records
- Serve as liaison to building management
- Oversee office management and office assistant/receptionist
- Support NRI’s President and development office with special reports and projects
- Assist with the performance of various executive, managerial, and administrative tasks
- Represent NRI at conferences, seminars, and other events
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- 0-5 years of accounting experience – relevant internships or work prior to graduation may be considered prior experience
- Degree in accounting, finance, or business strongly preferred
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks
- Strong aptitude to manage office operations
- Experience with and/or knowledge of the accounting requirements for nonprofits preferred
NRI pays a competitive salary commensurate with experience and provides excellent benefits.
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your philosophical interest in NRI, how your skills, experience, and future goals relate to the position and NRI, and your salary requirements.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Katy Ranville, Network Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected] While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.