The American Action Forum is a forward-looking, non-profit policy institute dedicated to keeping America strong, free and prosperous. It seeks to promote common-sense, innovative, and solutions-based policies that will reform government, challenge outdated assumptions, and create a smaller, smarter government that will serve its citizens better. As a unique, fast-paced “action” tank, we use the modern tools of communications to deploy ideas; engage Americans in the debate over the boundaries of government policy, personal freedoms, and market incentives; and educate and challenge the media to explore these issues and shape the next generation of political leaders.
About the Director of Energy Policy Opening:
This position is responsible for AAF’s energy policy portfolio and requires the ability to research and communicate effectively about a wide swath of energy policy issues. This includes a firm grasp of recent changes in domestic and global oil markets; the debate over energy exports; regulatory initiatives from the EPA, DOE, and Interior; federal lands policy; energy loans programs and tax incentives; infrastructure demands; current climate initiatives; the renewable energy market; and other issues affecting the growth and diversification of the energy sector. Must be able to quickly locate details, produce research on deadline, and work collaboratively with communications and other issue area staff. Good candidates will demonstrate a proactive ability to assess legislative and regulatory priorities as well as a commitment to free market-oriented policy solutions. Developing and maintaining relationships in the energy and energy policy sectors will be helpful for this role.
AAF researchers must be nimble, compete effectively in the daily battle of ideas, communicate successfully, and conduct original research. Ideal candidates will be able to critique and creatively develop policy solutions. This position will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
This position is located in Washington, DC.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- This position is responsible for all of AAF’s energy policy products, and must be proactive about pursuing research, producing original analysis, and locating useful data sources
- This position requires the ability to investigate a wide swath of relevant policy questions in order to succinctly explain key policy issues
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Three or more years working in this policy field on Capitol Hill, a relevant agency, think tank, or commensurate experience
- Strong writing, research, and data analysis skills
- Ability to multi-task and shift priorities with little notice
- Knowledge of EPA and energy development regulations, climate policy proposals, energy production trends, and other pressing energy priorities
- An interest in working for a think tank that emphasizes smaller government, sensible conservative policy solutions, and smart policy options that benefit the American public and avoid unnecessary federal government overreach
- Ability to communicate complex policy and its implications to a variety of audiences and stakeholders
Health coverage, paid time off, retirement savings plan, cell phone reimbursement, pre-tax accounts for commuting and dependent care purposes, gym membership
Salary commensurate with experience.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file:
- Cover letter expressing your interest in American Action Forum’s mission and stating your salary requirements
- A writing sample of no more than 1000 words
Submit your application to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement, at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise
This is a full time position based in Washington, DC. The American Action Forum is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, citizenship status, or sexual orientation. We are unable to sponsor work visas for this project.