The 1851 Center for Constitutional Law is a non-profit public interest law firm that litigates constitutional rights cases in state and federal court to preserve Ohioans’ liberties. We focus on protecting property rights, freedom of speech, entrepreneurial freedom, taxpayer and parental rights, and the separation of powers.
About the Role
1851 seeks an attorney to bolster its cutting-edge litigation efforts and the overall effectiveness of the organization. This attorney will work independently in an unstructured and flexible environment to identify, create, and manage legal actions in and out of court. This includes research, discovery, drafting, drafting, and possible court appearances. This attorney may also interface with clients, policymakers, and donors. Ideally, this position is rooted in downtown Columbus. For exceptional candidates, however, the ability to work virtually in Ohio may be a possibility.
Responsibilities and Requirements
The ideal candidate will have:
- An Ohio law license or have the ability to expeditiously acquire an Ohio license
- 0-3 years of litigation or legal writing experience (clerkships and law students with experience are welcome)
- Superior writing skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Exceptional organization and discipline
- Demonstrable commitment to understanding constitutional law, limiting government, or advancing individual rights
- Preference may be given to those with an interest in the business-side of the organization, i.e. public relations, marketing, and fundraising.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- A one-paragraph description and explanation of an idea for a case the 1851 Center should litigate.
- A short cover letter explaining your salary requirements, interest in the mission of the organization, and perhaps a short description of non-legal skills or interests that could assist the organization, such as those related to public relations, marketing, or fundraising.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Network Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.