The Competitive Enterprise Institute is a non-profit public policy organization dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty. Our mission is to promote both freedom and fairness by making good policy good politics. We make the uncompromising case for economic freedom because we believe it is essential for entrepreneurship, innovation, and prosperity to flourish.
Unique among free market groups, CEI pursues a full-service approach to advancing public policy. Founded in 1984, CEI has grown into an effective advocate for freedom on a wide range of critical policy issues, including energy, environment, business and finance, technology, telecommunications, and food and drug regulation.
About the Position
CEI seeks a VP/Director of Development to oversee the daily operations of its fundraising department and help take the organization to its next level of growth. The VP/Director’s primary responsibility will be ensuring the internal workings of the fundraising department are on target and that all opportunities are seized. The ideal candidate for this role will be a solid manager who is self-motivated, organized, professional and passionate about the principles of limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty.
Because CEI understands development talent is in short supply and high demand, we are open-minded about the type of candidates we consider. We plan to tailor the role around a person’s particular skills and abilities, whether it be at the VP or Director level. Above all, we are interested in finding someone who will be a long-term culture fit and thrive in this energetic and feisty think tank.
The VP/Director of Development will be based in Washington, DC and will report to the President & CEO.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive fundraising plan needed to grow the CEI budget through the solicitation of individual major gifts, planned giving, foundation support, corporate giving, high dollar direct mail, annual events, and special projects
- Serving as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting CEI
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the fundraising department
- Managing up, down, and laterally throughout the organization
- Managing donor database utilization and ongoing training for team
- Working closely with the an experienced team of fundraisers and the President & CEO to cultivate financial support for CEI
- Managing the development department’s budget, processes, and progress toward goals
- Providing monthly updates/reports to the President & CEO depicting activity and fundraising progress and semi-annual board reports, all with eye for thoroughness, clarity, and accuracy
- Bringing new ideas and techniques to the team with an eye toward small scale experimentation
The ideal candidate for this role will possess the following attributes:
- 10+ years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization with demonstrated success in a development function; we will also consider candidates coming from outside this arena who have the transferable skills and dedication to be successful
- Management experience with a development team preferred
- Ability to lead in a positive manner; providing both strategic and tactical insight to various fundraising initiatives
- Demonstrated philosophical alignment with CEI’s mission
- Strong organizational and program management skills; you never miss a deadline or forget a friend’s birthday
- High level of discretion regarding internal management decisions and donor confidentiality
- Experience fundraising for conservative or libertarian public policy organizations strongly preferred
- Strategic thinking skills and ability to effectively implement strategy
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written; copyediting skills preferred
- Strong relationship building and networking skills; possessing a robust conservative/libertarian network a major plus
- Experience with major/recurring events as part of a fundraising strategy preferred
- Travel obligations will vary based on candidate fit
- Salesforce experience a plus
- High fun quotient
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file:
- Cover letter detailing your sincere interest in this position/the mission of CEI and salary requirements
- A list of three professional references (including titles and contact information)
Please include “VP/Director of Development, CEI – Your Name” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Dixon, executive director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.