State Policy Network seeks a dynamic and experienced senior development professional to join our mission of catalyzing thriving, durable freedom movements in every state, anchored by high-performing independent think tanks that promote state-based solutions which together achieve national impact. The individual who is right for this position believes, as we do, that just as American freedom began in the states, the states are where it will be restored. The right person will bring conviction and a corresponding sense of urgency that now is the time to energize and mobilize state-based think tanks across the U.S. for significant policy reforms, and that SPN and its affiliates are uniquely positioned to make that happen. The ideal candidate will also understand the importance of building and maintaining goodwill and service to the leaders who make up the staff at SPN affiliate organizations. Most important, the right person for this position will have the passion and skill to engage high-level financial supporters at a committed and transformational level.
SPN seeks a long-term culture fit who will thrive in this unique organization. Headquartered in Arlington, VA, we provide a virtual work environment for employees to work from their home offices around the country.
The individual chosen for this position will be able to:
- Work with SPN’s leadership to develop fundraising strategies that capitalize on our unique assets, mission, history, and brand
- Lead, evaluate, and coach a team of talented, committed fundraising professionals who deploy Moves Management plans to secure growing revenue to support SPN’s core mission and special projects
- Engage in discussion and development of organizational and policy strategy in collaboration with members of SPN’s senior Leadership Team and Board of Directors
- Effectively manage all SPN development operations, including major donor stewardship, foundation proposals, legacy gifts, donor events, and high dollar direct mail
- Maintain a portfolio of donor relationships that yield major gifts for the work of SPN and our network
- Understand and communicate the nuances of a dynamic network of leaders and organizations in every state in the country as well as the organizations who make up the broader freedom movement.
- Cultivate strategic partnerships to help advance SPN’s strategies
- Help set and pursue aggressive but reality-based annual targets for revenue and donor acquisition, conversion, and retention, track progress toward these goals, maintain a budget, and incorporate data into decision-making
- Facilitate collaboration between Development, Programs, and Communications teams
- Effectively manage key vendor and consultant relationships
- Clearly communicate Development strategies and results to key audiences including the SPN Board of Directors
- At least eight years of experience in nonprofit fundraising with a track record of effective team leadership, securing major gifts, and achieving transformational results through others
- Knowledge of free-market donor networks and commitment to freedom
- Outstanding story-telling, communication, and strategic thinking skills
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to travel regularly (approximately 40%)
- Humility, integrity, and drive
Founded in 1992 by South Carolina entrepreneur Thomas Roe at the urging of Ronald Reagan, SPN supports a powerful movement of 66 independent state think tank affiliates and over 80 associate partners. We do this by:
- Incubating think tanks and accelerating their development through strategic planning, training, and coaching;
- Connecting talented state leaders so they can learn, challenge, and grow together, with the aim of cultivating state solutions that collectively yield national impact; and,
- Defending the 50-state think tank network by disseminating best legal practices, providing critical resources when members are attacked, and fighting organized assaults on free speech and donor privacy.
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file:
- Cover letter detailing two successes that illustrate the candidate’s qualifications and salary requirements
- List of references
Please include “VP of Development, SPN– Your Name” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Dixon with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.