The Mackinac Center for Public Policy seeks a Vice President of Marketing and Communications to direct the Center’s promotional and communications efforts. The Vice President of Marketing and Communications will direct the Mackinac Center’s outreach efforts, including the content and platforms used to market its products and message. The chief purpose of this role is to coordinate strategic marketing campaigns that communicate the Center’s policy recommendations to key audiences.
While the efficacy of a policy idea can be proven through empirical argument and reason, it must be expressed in a way that personalizes, humanizes and dramatizes its value. To that end, the VP will oversee efforts to identify and engage people whose stories illustrate how public policy changes lives for good or ill.
The Mackinac Center is a nonpartisan research and educational institute dedicated to improving the quality of life of all Michigan residents by promoting sound solutions to state and local policy questions. We advance liberty and opportunity for all people by developing free-market policies, challenging government overreach and influencing public opinion so that it encourages policymakers to act in the broad public interest rather than narrow private or government interests. The Mackinac Center is a nonprofit organization with 35 full-time employees, a 50-member board of scholars and an annual operating budget of $5 million. It is celebrating its 30th anniversary in 2017.
This position is located in Midland, Mich.
The VP will report to the Executive Vice President and be a member of the senior leadership team. This officer’s responsibilities will include:
- Direct all marketing and communications efforts, which include publications and their distribution, promotional materials, community relations, media relations, digital outreach and brand management;
- Develop and execute strategic marketing plans that promote the Center’s research to appropriate audiences;
- Oversee others who write, produce and manage publications, web sites, videos and other means of communications;
- Oversee the timely acquisition of stories and testimonials;
- Develop, execute and evaluate growth strategies for increasing the reach and effectiveness of the Center’s publications and media presence;
- Direct efforts to get the Center’s name and message featured in top media outlets;
- Manage and empower the communications team;
- Proactively safeguard the Center’s brand;
- Help colleagues develop their own communications skills;
- Reinforce a learning culture by identifying and using innovative practices and technologies;
- Leverage data to make decisions that enhance the Center’s capabilities and effectiveness;
- Coordinate with the Advancement Department to promote the Center’s events;
- Promote the efforts of the Mackinac Center Legal Foundation;
- Increase the distribution of the Center’s news division, Capitol Confidential; and
- Participate in the Center’s strategic planning process.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and competencies:
- 5+ years of experience
- A commitment to free-market solutions to public policy issues;
- Strong leadership, organizational and managerial skills;
- The ability to develop and execute strategic objectives;
- Experience creating marketing campaigns for multiple channels;
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills;
- Curiosity and the ability to listen;
- An ability to experiment and use analytics to influence and evaluate decisions;
- Able to guide others toward achieving results;
- Willingness to challenge assumptions and lead organizational change; and
- Keen attention to quality management.
- Experience managing a political or issue campaign is a plus.
The position provides a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF with your name in the file:
- A cover letter detailing your interest in/passion for the organization’s mission and your salary requirements
- 3 writing samples
Please include “VP, Mackinac – Your Name” in the subject line of your email. Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Dixon with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.