The Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty is a law and policy organization based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Established in 2011, WILL has become one of the preeminent state-based litigation centers and think tanks in the country, growing to seven lawyers. Through strategic litigation and timely policy reports, WILL seeks to advance the public interest in free markets, limited government, individual liberty, and a robust civil society, including educational freedom and reform.
On its litigation side, WILL has become a frequent litigant in the state Supreme Court, seeking to develop state law in ways that will serve its mission. It now seeks an experienced, aggressive, and innovative litigator to serve as a Vice President of Litigation.
Because of its growth, WILL seeks a leader to assume responsibility for the daily direction of its litigation activity. The job will require assisting the President/General Counsel, and Executive Vice President in the identification and selection of litigation opportunities as well as management of that litigation.
Salary is competitive (low six figures) with an exceptionally attractive benefits package, including health, life, dental, HSA and 401(k) plan.
- Work with WILL’s President/General Counsel, and Executive Vice President to identify and prosecute strategic litigation.
- Daily management of and participation in litigation, including formulation and execution of strategy, management of discovery (where applicable), brief-writing and oral advocacy.
- Direct supervision of legal staff.
- Where appropriate, assist in fundraising activities.
- Participation in the development and execution of media strategy.
- Analyze legislation, regulation and policies.
- Write advocacy materials, including legal backgrounders and opinion pieces.
- Seven or more years of litigation experience
- Excellent writing skills
- Team player with a sense of humor
- Willingness to network and help with fundraising (although fundraising experience is not required)
- Entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to take risks
- Solid commitment to the mission of the organization
- Substantial litigation experience with an emphasis on brief writing and sophisticated legal analysis
- Membership in good standing of a state bar and eligibility for admission to the bar of the State of Wisconsin
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your full name in the file name:
- Cover letter detailing interest in the position, the mission of WILL and salary requirements
- Names and contacts of at least three professional references
- One legal writing sample reflecting solely the applicant’s own work
- If available, one advocacy writing sample (i.e., an op-ed or blog post) reflecting solely the applicant’s own work
- An unofficial law school transcript
Please include “VP, Litigation, WILL–[Your Name]” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.