The Mercatus Center at George Mason University is the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems.
As a university-based research center, the Mercatus Center trains students, conducts research of consequence, and persuasively communicates economic ideas to solve society’s most pressing problems and advance knowledge about how markets work to improve people’s lives.
Our mission is to generate knowledge and understanding of the institutions that affect the freedom to prosper and to find sustainable solutions that overcome the barriers preventing individuals from living free, prosperous, and peaceful lives.
About the Opening
The Vice President for Policy Research is the senior leader of the policy research team within the Mercatus Center and is responsible for leading people, strategy, and execution. Our policy research team is comprised of researchers and support employees who are committed to the highest standards of academic quality and credibility for their research.
- Lead researchers to develop and execute cutting-edge economic policy research in a variety of areas, coordinating between different research projects and ensuring all research projects and products advance the Mercatus mission
- Facilitate an excellent work culture by engaging with the team directly and Mercatus broadly to create professional development opportunities and enhance collaboration focused on delivering results
- Engage and inspire our public policy research teams, comprised of economists, legal scholars, policy analysts, and program management staff
- Ensure that all research publications meet the highest academic standards
- Work with our communications, media, and outreach teams to ensure that research is effectively promoted
- Serve as a bridge between academic researchers and policy professionals so that Mercatus research is informed by and addresses real world problems
- Develop and oversee the policy research team’s resources including budget, staffing, and strategies and provide regular updates and reporting
- Facilitate a collegial and creative environment for research teams that supports both existing research and the development of new ideas through our challenge culture
- Serve as a colleague, mentor, and leader for researchers on research, management and communication needs
- Help identify and recruit new top-notch scholars, managers, and program staff
- 10+ years of experience in academia, public policy, and/or related fields
- PhD in economics or a related discipline (preferred), or an advanced degree combined with significant research experience in a related field (including law)
- Desire to connect cutting edge research with today’s public policy challenges and an understanding of past Mercatus research
- A commitment to apply sound methods of economic analysis to current issues of public policy
- Proven experience and ability to lead and inspire large teams with diverse functions, experience, and engagement
- Extensive leadership experience managing projects, researchers, and staff
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Highly organized and detail focused
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file:
- Cover letter detailing your qualifications, philosophical interest in Mercatus, and salary requirements
- List of 3+ references
Please include “VP, Policy Research, Mercatus– Your Name” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Dixon with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.