You: You believe that good public policy leads to better lives. You know that an engaged an informed citizenry was as important in the 1700’s as it is today. But today, we have better tools to ensure people understand what’s going on. You’re adept at using those tools to navigate the intersection between public policy, communications, and citizens. You enjoy policy debates, growing brands and defending the idea of freedom in a state that can provide a hostile environment at times. You understand how to engage the press constructively and shape hearts and minds toward our core mission: educating and empowering New Yorkers!
Our Team: Reclaim New York is a non-partisan, non-profit organization focusing on affordability, education, and government reform across New York. We provide civic education on complex policy issues and we empower New Yorkers to engage their state and local government. Most importantly, we’re a group of New Yorkers that believes deeply in helping citizens reclaim ownership in their relationship with government.
Since our public launch in 2015, Reclaim has grown quickly across the state. Through a network of citizen owners, Reclaim is helping families understand the impact New York’s affordability crisis has on your bottom line. Through the New York Transparency Project we’re training local citizens to increase transparency and accountability in local governments. Our Communications Director ensure that these messages connect!
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy and Planning
- Manages all communications across HQ and field-based teams, ensuring brand consistency, audience relevancy and the honest and direct tone of Reclaim’s brand.
- Coordinates directly with Executive Director on strategy planning of Reclaim’s direction.
- Coordinates directly with the Director of Field Operations on regional media outreach, dissemination and/or placement of press releases, and Op-Eds to generate awareness for the organization’s programs and initiatives among key audiences.
- Manages a media assistant who maintains updated media collateral including creative, logos, bios, quick facts, press kit, and media assets, etc.
- Owns relationships with journalists, media, and policy influencers, conducting on-the-record interviews, enjoys the in-person brand and relationship-building aspect of the role
- Reviews or develops press releases, briefs, op-eds, and statements for Reclaim initiatives and provides quick-turn responses to emerging media opportunities.
- Serves as the 24/7 contact for all media inquiries, while providing facts, information, and access to organization.
- Pitches stories to local and statewide media to maximize exposure for organization initiatives in broadcast, print, and Internet media channels.
- Books and preps internal spokespeople for all media interviews, speaking appearances and other public appearances.
- Collaborates with digital, operations, and policy teams to align media relations with other communications channels, including social media and website initiatives.
- 5 years+ media relations experience working on political campaigns, issue campaigns, or with advocacy organizations
- Experience speaking with the media as an on-the-record spokesperson
- Existing relationships with New York-based media preferred but not required
- Experience communicating policy proposals with an emphasis on fiscal and education issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including writing quick-turn press releases
- Preference given to bilingual candidates (Spanish/English)
- Strong commitment to supporting free-market solutions to New York’s challenging fiscal problems
- Compensation is commensurate with experience and competitive with the market
- Compensation for Health Benefits, 401K, and PTO are included
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file:
- Cover letter detailing your sincere interest in this position/mission of the organization
Please include “Comms Director, RNY–[Your Name]” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Lauren Skiver with Talent Market who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.