The Competitive Enterprise Institute is a non-profit public policy organization dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty. Our mission is to promote both freedom and fairness by making good policy good politics. We make the uncompromising case for economic freedom because we believe it is essential for entrepreneurship, innovation, and prosperity to flourish. Unique among free market groups, CEI pursues a full-service approach to advancing public policy. Founded in 1984, CEI has grown into an effective advocate for freedom on a wide range of critical policy issues, including energy, environment, business and finance, technology, telecommunications, and food and drug regulation.
About the Position
CEI seeks a Development Officer to join a dynamic, experienced team. This position is most suitable for an individual with up to 10 years of experience in philanthropy. It may also be suitable for an individual with a policy background that has little experience in philanthropy but has already determined to shift careers and is personally suited to development work. Regardless of your fundraising experience, words that describe you should include:
- Networker. You are a joyful networker that is highly skilled at building genuine relationships. You thrive in a setting where you can work with people all day, every day.
- Discreet. You have a lifelong commitment to discretion.
- Tech-savvy. You are comfortable and excited about working in the digital space, and conversant on topics ranging from digital design and copy, to strategy and metrics.
- Teachable. You are eager to learn new things and never put off by mundane tasks. You are comfortable working within established boundaries, and simultaneously a self-starter able to exercise strategic, outside-the-box thinking.
- Multi-Tasker. You thrive in an environment that demands multi-tasking.
- Focused. You are able to laser-focus on specific tasks at hand for specific periods of time. While skilled at multi-tasking, you know how to avoid being distracted. You are deadline driven and drive yourself to get the job done.
- Writer. You have demonstrated writing and editing abilities. Any type of strong writing skills will be considered, but policy and/or journalism experience provides added benefit.
- Aligned. Philosophically, you are a libertarian or conservative and can discuss your philosophical alignment with CEIs mission and vision, particularly related to energy, regulatory policy, and free market economics. Please see the CEI website, cei.org, for a deeper understanding of the organization’s policy agenda.