- producing impactful research that explores the scientific foundations of the interaction between individuals, business, and government to improve well-being for individuals and society
- producing impactful learning experiences for students and scholars through reading groups, student research fellowships, graduate student fellowships, courses, visiting scholars, conferences, workshops, and seminars
The Senior Director of Strategy and Research will be responsible for driving the organizational strategy to best achieve the Center’s goals of producing impactful research and providing meaningful mentorship experiences for students. This strategy will include both internal and external strategy components.
- Work with management staff to develop a research agenda and measurable goals for the impact of that research
- Collaborate with Center staff to identify potential scholars and experts with which to partner on specific research topics
- Develop a strategy for how to best integrate students into the research process both to maximize achievement of research goals and to create the best mentorship experience possible for Center student fellows
- Communicate the organizational strategy to ensure that each member of the organization understands how his/her role helps to maximize fulfillment of the Center’s mission
- Work to identify best practices and ensure credibility of all research released through the Center
- Develop an outreach strategy for how we will interact with other academic research organizations, policy think-tanks, grassroots groups, academic scholars, governmental, and other partners to maximize the impact of our research
- Develop both organizational and project-specific goals that will allow us to measure the impact of our academic research and student mentorship fulfill donor intent and inform internal improvement
- Work with Center staff to measure progress toward organizational and project-specific impact goals and make adjustments as needed
- Identify targeted external events and represent the organization’s research strategy and portfolio at conferences, through donor engagements, and other opportunities, as needed
Required Skills and Experience:
- 10+ years of leadership, including supervisory, experience in a professional-development oriented workplace
- Significant experience crafting and implementing strategy, preferably for a research-focused organization
- Experience both conducting and supervising academic journal-quality research on public policy issues
- Strong working knowledge of and responsiveness to the evolving public policy landscape
- A strong commitment to providing valuable mentorship experiences for students at all levels of their academic career
- Excellent communication skills and a proven track record of applying these skills successfully in both internal and external communications
- A collaborative attitude and sincere commitment toward giving and receiving constructive feedback with respect and humility
- Experience in successfully leading a team toward achievement of a common purpose
- Advanced degree in Economics or related field such as Public Policy is required, and Ph.D. preferred
Salary and Benefits
The Center for Growth and Opportunity is located on the Utah State University Campus in Logan, Utah, however, it is a separate entity from Utah State University. Thus, this is a non-faculty, non-tenure track position. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with skills and experience. Logan Utah is in the Cache Valley, a community of about 110,000 located in a picturesque mountain valley in Northern Utah about 80 miles from Salt Lake City. Outstanding recreational opportunities abound in the nearby mountains and nearby region.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF with your name in the file:
- A cover letter detailing:
- your interest in/passion for the organization’s mission,
- your salary requirements, and
- if applicable, your interest in relocating to Utah
- Sample research paper
- Three references
Please include “Senior Director, CGO – Your Name” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Lauren Skiver with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.