Young America’s Foundation is committed to ensuring that increasing numbers of young Americans understand and are inspired by the ideas of individual freedom, a strong national defense, free enterprise, and traditional values.
The senior development officer is a member of the Young America’s Foundation’s Development Team which includes staff at the Foundation’s National Headquarters in Reston, Virginia, and at the Foundation’s Reagan Ranch Center in Santa Barbara, California. Young America’s Foundation has raised more than $200 million in the last decade, and we expect this senior staffer at the Reagan Ranch Center to add to this momentum. The senior development officer will report to the director of the Reagan Ranch but operates under the Foundation’s overall development team led by the president and the director of development.
The senior development officer will play a key role in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting annual, major, and capital gifts—ensuring Young America’s Foundation reaches our full development potential.
President Ronald Reagan’s 688-acre ranch, Rancho del Cielo, which served as the “Western White House” during his Presidency, is the centerpiece of Young America’s Foundation’s Reagan Ranch operation. The Reagan Ranch Center—the Foundation’s 22,000-square-foot facility in downtown Santa Barbara—compliments our Reagan Ranch efforts. The Center features a conference center, classrooms, a theater, a library of conservative resources, an interactive exhibit gallery, and the Reagan Ranch administrative offices.
The senior development officer reports to the director of the Reagan Ranch.
The senior development officer will receive training from the Institute for Charitable Giving programs and by the director of development to perform the following duties:
- Manage a portfolio of primary prospects in all aspects of the gift cycle:
- Initiate contact with current and potential major gift donors
- Develop appropriate cultivation strategies (home visits, Ranch visits, correspondence, event participation, etc.)
- Move donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation
- Make solicitations when appropriate
- Provide high level of quality stewardship after the gift
- Report the status and progress of an assigned list of supporters
- Ensure that a comprehensive and informative visit report is timely filed for all donor contacts
- Ensure that each Reagan Ranch visitor has a first-class experience to establish, or reinforce, the supporter’s lifelong support of Young America’s Foundation
- Prioritize and visit supporters in their homes and/or offices to follow-up post Reagan Ranch visits
- Maximize the Foundation’s current and future support in Santa Barbara and throughout the country
- Work with the overall development team to ensure all supporter events reach the maximum financial potential
- Provide other members of the Foundation development team with support
- Manage and coach junior colleagues of the Young America’s Foundation development team based in Santa Barbara
- A minimum of five years professional fundraising experience in a sophisticated organization with a reputation for quality and excellence
- Demonstrated ability to close major gifts
- A successful track record of personally identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individual donors and foundations
- History of securing and executing successful home visits (discovery, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship) with supporters around the country
- Experience with developing and maintaining long-term, productive relationships with donors
- Understanding of and willingness to embrace the Institute for Charitable Giving system of “moves management” and donor-centered, relationship-building fundraising
- A record of measurable results in organizing and implementing such activities as: major gifts, annual gifts, planned gifts, grant writing, foundation giving, and special events
- Ability to effectively gain the respect and support of various constituencies, including staff, donors, and members of the board
- Demonstrated experience in managing and mentoring development officers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking
- Committed to and enthusiastic about Young America’s Foundation’s mission and programs
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and flexible
- Ability to create excitement and energy around the Young America’s Foundation’s programs and encourage others to support the organization
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of donors in order to develop donor- centered relationships between the donor and the Foundation
- Persuasive, persistent, and determined in the pursuit of the organization’s fundraising goals
- Committed to ongoing education and training in the development field
- Must be willing to travel an estimated 33% of the time
- Good listener
- Preference given to candidates with history of activity in Young America’s Foundation’s programs
Commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF with your name in the file:
- Cover letter detailing a) how your experience and passion for Young America’s Foundation’s mission make you a strong candidate for the role and b) your salary requirement
- List of 3-5 references
Please include “Senior Development Officer, YAF – Your Name” in the subject line of your email. Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Lauren Skiver with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.