The American Conservative Union Foundation seeks to hire a Regional Development Officer to be located in the Southwest, Midwest, or DC area. The Regional Development Officer serves as a key member of the development team and is responsible for identifying, building relationships with and soliciting a portfolio of high-level donors and prospects.
The Regional Development Officer will develop and drive ACUF individual gifts program primarily in the region positioned. S/he will also manage a cadre of major gift prospects. As its development program grows, ACUF seeks an energetic, strategic, and seasoned fundraiser who can help strengthen its individual giving program by helping to build the national major gift prospect pipeline and taking the existing portfolio of donors to the next level of philanthropy.
The Regional Development Officer reports to the Director of Development. The position will require travel an estimated 30% of the time.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Build and manage a portfolio of regional prospects capable of supporting ACUF with gifts of $10K+, helping them to align their philanthropic goals with ACUF opportunities/priorities
- Serve as an ambassador of ACUF to regional constituencies, recommending and assisting with programming involving the leadership of the organization
- Work collaboratively with ACUF development and program staff to design strategies to secure funding for designated priorities, including unrestricted support, CPAC Sponsorships, new facilities and other specified priorities
- Oversee donor stewardship/recognition efforts for select prospects/donors, in collaboration with stewardship colleagues, helping to promote a culture of gratitude among internal and external constituents
- Effectively utilize the prospect management/tracking system to record prospect/donor activity and other relevant data in a timely fashion
- Work with theevents team to design and execute donor cultivation and stewardship events in the region
- Perform within established activity goals, meeting expectations for a high-performing team
- Prepare an annual portfolio plan in consultation with the Director of Development and regularly review top prospect strategies
- Develop and implement strategies to improve ACUF’s visibility in the assigned region in concert with the ACUF’s marketing team
- Work with gift processing staff to provide monthly/quarterly income forecasting
Qualifications & Requirements
- A high level of initiative, attention to detail and strong organization skills
- Strong verbal communication skills and the ability to write clearly and persuasively
- Strong self-motivation and ability to work as part of a collaborative team
- Skill in successfully managing multiple projects on tight deadlines and under pressure in a dynamic and open environment
- Unquestionable integrity and commitment to professional ethics, and the ability to responsibly handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion
- Ability to grasp and articulate multi-layered programs in a way that meets the interests and passions of donors
- A creative, enthusiastic team member with a commitment to the mission of ACUF
- Working knowledge of the principles of gift planning
- Ability to travel an estimated 30% either locally or on overnight trips, typically from one to three consecutive days
- A conservative, free market principled mindset
- Limited need for administrative support and ability to function independently
Education & Training
- Bachelor’s Degree is preferred
- 2-5 years of experience, including significant experience in fundraising, sales, or related role.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward key investor relationships and effectively move them through the development cycle
- Experience identifying giving opportunities and thinking creatively to establish matches between key investors and programs and funding priorities
- Experience in making “qualifying” calls as well as developing investor-centric cultivation and solicitation strategies
- A successful track record of meeting annual goals
- Proficient in MS Office applications; working knowledge of Sales Force software highly desirable
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF with your name in the file:
- A cover letter detailing your experience, your interest in/passion for the organization’s mission, a mention of which location you prefer, and your salary requirements
- Brief writing sample
Please include “Officer, ACUF – Your Name” in the subject line of your email. Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Lauren Skiver with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.