Civitas is Latin for civics. Unlike most traditional think tanks, Civitas Institute emphasizes educating the public and mobilizing the grassroots movement by providing them the information, skills, and tools to effectively engage with elected and public officials to help successfully implement public policies that protect freedom and liberty.
Founded in 2005, Civitas Institute fights to remove barriers to freedom so that all North Carolinians can enjoy a better life. Located in Raleigh, NC, Civitas seeks a President & CEO to lead its next phase of growth.
The President & CEO will be a seasoned executive with management skills, business acumen, and an understanding of fundraising. The President will guide a small staff to conduct research, sponsor educational activities, and disseminate information to promote the public’s understanding of the benefits of limited government and free market economies. The President & CEO will oversee a budget of approximately $2.2 million. A visionary leader with a commitment to providing a voice for those who feel unheard in North Carolina, the President & CEO will serve as the organization’s chief spokesperson.
The primary responsibilities of the President & CEO will include:
- Overall executive leadership and management of the Institute, including reporting to the Board of Directors
- Effectively and persuasively articulate the mission of Civitas to the grassroots, elected and public officials, and media outlets (digital and traditional)
- Overseeing fundraising strategy creation and implementation
- Increasing the organization’s visibility among relevant audiences, including donors, allied organizations, and the grassroots
- Networking and collaborating in an effort to strengthen the organization’s community and influence
- Developing strategies to more effectively realize the organization’s mission
- Managing a small staff and making staffing decisions
The ideal candidate for this role will possess the following attributes:
- Demonstrated philosophical alignment with the Civitas Institute’s mission
- Significant management experience (10+ years), including organizing conferences and events; overseeing publication of periodicals, research reports, website, social media, digital communications
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, including ability and willingness to serve as the organization’s public face
- Understanding of/experience in the nonprofit sphere — including knowledge of like-minded organizations and donors (strongly preferred)
- In depth knowledge and understanding of state public policy
- Strategic thinking skills and ability to effectively execute an existing strategy
- Proven ability to inspire and lead a team in a collaborative, collegial style
- Strong relationship building and networking skills
- Demonstrated ability to increase brand awareness of an organization or entity
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file:
- Cover letter detailing the candidate’s qualifications, philosophical interest in leading Civitas, and salary requirements
- List of 3+ references
Please include “President & CEO, Civitas– Your Name” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Dixon with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.