The Commonwealth Foundation is among the most effective and influential state-based think tanks in the country. With a top-notch team of policy analysts and communication experts, CF transforms free-market ideas into public policies so all Pennsylvanians can flourish.
Our research and advocacy have led to lower taxes on working Pennsylvanians, greater transparency in state government spending and contracts, criminal justice reform that reduced both prison population and crime, and increased educational options for thousands of students.
Our work is driven by our core values of:
- Treating everyone with dignity,
- Stewardship of our investors’ time and treasure, and
- Pursuing productive solutions to problems.
CF’s seeks a Senior Policy Analyst to lead our education policy efforts. The Senior Policy Analyst will produce transformative research products and effectively communicate our ideas to strategic constituencies (including lawmakers and media) and assist others in doing the same. The position may be based in our Harrisburg, Philadelphia, or Pittsburgh office or work remotely in Pennsylvania, and will report to the Director of Policy Analysis.
Policy Research and Analysis (40%): Assist the policy team in developing and implementing a research agenda focused on achieving the goals outlined in CF’s larger strategy, with appropriate deadlines. This includes the following:
- Conduct research, collect data and provide policy analysis on key issues.
- Stay current on policy developments, keeping a close eye on news stories and key legislation, and provide critical analysis.
- Perform ad hoc research in response to inquiries from media, supporters, activists, and colleagues and provide policy information to colleagues as needed.
- Equip other staff for public and media appearances, and communication with key external audiences.
- Manage and oversee the execution of assigned projects key to our policy agenda.
- Ensuring all staff members are aware of the roles and duties assigned to them.
- Updating CF staff as the project is executed.
- Working with senior staff to revise the project plan as needed.
Policy Writing and Publications (25%):
- Produce and assist with the production of CF policy publications that adhere to CF’s policy positions, guarantee of quality scholarship, “Fortune 500” standard of quality, and “PHD voice” (personalize, humanize, and dramatize).
- Identify opportunities to push CF’s policy agenda and counter opponents’ objections/arguments using any and all communications vehicles and creative ideas.
Public Affairs (25%)
- Represent CF in public speaking and in regular media appearances.
- Conduct government affairs outreach and build relationships with lawmakers and staff to educate them around key policy issues and update them on our research.
General Support (10%)
- Be available to support the efforts of colleagues.
- Consider daily activities and projects through the lens of CF’s larger strategy and uphold an organizational culture reflective of our four core values.
- Mentor and supervise interns and other staff, as needed.
- 3+ years of experience, in public policy, government relations, or related field.
- Expertise with education policy desired.
- Share a commitment to the free-market principles of CF.
- Have excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Monthly stipend for health care, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
- Reimbursements for needed mobile technology.
- Matching SIMPLE IRA plan.
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF with your name in the file:
- A cover letter detailing your experience, your interest in/passion for the organization’s mission, and your salary requirements
- Brief writing sample
Please include “Senior Policy Analyst, CF – Your Name” in the subject line of your email. Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Lauren Skiver with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.