The Platte Institute prides itself on its mission: to promote free market policies that lead to personal responsibility, limited government and free enterprise in Nebraska. This position is critical to the organization because they will lead the charge on distributing and articulating our positions, research and mission to the citizens, elected officials and media in Nebraska. In addition, this director will develop and carry out our grass roots strategic plan.
- Assist the CEO/Executive Director with developing the organization’s policy initiatives and research plan.
- Work directly with Nebraska State Senators and/or their staff on various policy issues facing the state.
- Develop strategic partnerships with state and local organizations, such as the Chambers of Commerce, to advance the Institute’s policy initiatives.
- Testify at legislative hearings and participate in other speaking engagements, as necessary.
- Develop outreach strategies to continue to build a network of local opinion leaders, education leaders and community activists who will partner in support of Platte Institute’s goals.
- Develop and execute outreach strategies for Institute policy events.
- Build upon new and existing relationships with key political, citizen, business, and civic partners in communities across the state.
- Develop, implement, manage and evaluate the annual communications plan.
- Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as test the effectiveness of communications activities
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic material including, but not limited to, newsletters, policy papers, and website.
- Coordinate webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly.
- Manage all media contacts.
- Edit all Platte Institute publications.
- The successful candidate will have an unwavering commitment to the mission of the Platte Institute
- At least three years of communications and/or policy experience.
- Knowledge of the state legislature and municipal government
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Proficiency in using software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Ability to work with diverse individuals and groups and pull various viewpoints toward common goals
- Insight as to what will motivate key leaders to support the Platte Institute’s policy priorities
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college required
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF file:
- Cover letter detailing: a) your sincere interest in this position and the mission of the organization, and b) your salary requirements
Materials should be emailed to Claire Kittle, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls please.