The Illinois Policy Institute seeks a Manager of Media Relations to join its robust Media Relations operation. This position is based in Chicago, which is the third-largest media market in the U.S. The Manager of Media Relations will have the opportunity to work on a full-service, professional media relations operation that regularly places experts in Chicago and national news outlets.
The Manager of Media Relations will be responsible for managing and growing the Institute’s relationships with Illinois-based and national media, which includes radio, newspaper, TV and online news outlets. This person must be a self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment, knows or can quickly get to know the Illinois media landscape, and who can juggle multiple requests from news outlets at a time. The person who fills this role must be equally passionate about news and liberty. The ideal candidate recognizes that the news never sleeps, and possesses a natural enthusiasm for following all things news, politics and policy – on or off the job.
This position is not a fit for journalism “refugees” who are seeking to exit the news industry in pursuit of a bigger paycheck or a 9-5 desk job. The person who fills this role must have a deep passion and interest in news and in liberty, and must view this position as an opportunity to play a new and exciting role in the news industry – not outside of it. The right candidate will be prepared to work with the same rigor and on the same news schedule as working journalists.
The Manager of Media Relations will report to the VP, Communications.
Responsibilities will include:
- Building relationships with the media, including strengthening existing Institute relationships and developing new relationships
- Assisting the VP of Communications in developing an integrated marketing communications plan for the Institute
- Copyediting Institute products, including press releases, newsletters and policy papers
- Maintaining all appropriate media contact lists and databases
- Placing opinion pieces and articles with top-level print outlets and securing interviews with staff on leading television and radio shows
- Writing/blogging for the Institute when appropriate
- Ensuring that Institute’s media resonance is properly tracked and measured
- Assisting with daily written and oral communication to media and general public
- Fielding phone calls from the media; pitching and booking interviews
- Tracking, updating and archiving all media coverage
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
- 3+ years related experience in communications, media relations, journalism, or public relations
- Superb written and oral communication skills, as well as editing skills
- Strong project management skills and ability to multi-task, set priorities, and follow through
- Solid understanding of the news cycle and how to effectively interact with reporters, editors and program directors
- High sense of urgency
- A commitment to the principles of limited government, personal responsibility and free enterprise
- Experience communicating about public policy issues preferred
- Some experience in a nonprofit and/or political setting preferred, but not required
- Illinois ties welcome, but not required
- A bachelor’s degree
- Passion for news, politics and free market policy
- Proficiency in AP Style
- Experience using media monitoring and/or social media platforms
- Willingness to travel to build personal relationships with members of the media and represent the Institute at press events or organizational events
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file:
- Cover letter detailing your sincere interest in this position/mission of the organization and your salary requirements
- Writing sample that demonstrates your ability to communicate policy issues in a compelling manner
Materials should be emailed to Claire Dixon, executive director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org. All materials should be sent in one PDF file with your name in the file name.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.
About the Illinois Policy Institute
The Illinois Policy Institute’s vision is to make Illinois first in economic outlook and job creation and to become a free enterprise leader for the rest of America. The Institute inspires changes in hearts, minds and laws through its mission to promote personal freedom and prosperity in Illinois and America. As a leading independent research and education organization, it generates positive and sustainable policy solutions for citizens and lawmakers that help unleash talent and entrepreneurial ability.