The Commonwealth Foundation is among the most effective and influential state-based think tanks in the country. With a top-notch team of policy analysts and communication experts, CF transforms free-market ideas into public policies so all Pennsylvanians can flourish.
Our research and advocacy have led to lower taxes on working Pennsylvanians, greater transparency in state government spending and contracts, criminal justice reform that reduced both prison population and crime, and increased educational options for thousands of students.
Our work is driven by our core values of:
- Treating everyone with dignity,
- Stewardship of our investors’ time and treasure, and
- Pursuing productive solutions to problems.
We are looking for an experienced, talented, and committed individual to work closely with the Vice President and the Directors of Communications and Marketing to boost the organization’s writing capacity and effectiveness across a diverse range of platforms and audiences.
The Manager will report to the Director of Communications.
Investor & Allied Audience Communications (50%)
The manager will play a significantly role in crafting materials to engage CF’s supporters.
- Craft emails that inform, inspire, and engage Commonwealth Foundation supporters and activists.
- Answer general inquiries from investors and activists.
- Compile written summaries for CF Projects and case studies of CF successes.
- Support the Director of Marketing on our flagship magazine, CommonwealthSense.
- Prepare a periodical eNewsletter for investors and allies.
- Assist in the writing of mail to investors and prospective supporters.
General Writing and Editing (50%)
The manager will work in partnership with the Director of Communications in overseeing CF’s publications.
- Ensure written communications are developed with one or more of CF’s key audiences in mind, adhere to CF’s guarantee of quality scholarship, are written in accordance with the style guide, ensure “PHD” voice that enhances readability, conciseness and style and answers the most important question: “Why should I care”?
- Write and edit compelling and timely op-eds for state and national outlets on priority issues.
- Assist in developing convincing messaging for use across all platforms.
- Be an integral part of the editing process for blogs, policy reports, news releases, and other written products.
- 2-5 years of professional experience in writing, editing, communications, or related roles.
- Effective editor with exceptional attention to detail and practical knowledge of grammar, and a willingness to coach team members.
- Outstanding writer with the ability to write for multiple audiences in both long and short form.
- Creative, outside-the-box mindset.
- Collaborative approach to creating content.
- Share a commitment to the free-market principles of CF.
- Monthly stipend for health care
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance.
- Reimbursements for needed mobile technology.
- Matching SIMPLE IRA plan.
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF with your name in the file:
- A cover letter detailing your experience, your interest in/passion for the organization’s mission, and your salary requirements
- Brief writing sample
Please include “Manager, CF – Your Name” in the subject line of your email. Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Lauren Skiver with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: Lauren@talentmarket.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.