The Center for Competitive Politics seeks an experienced attorney to join its litigation team. A successful applicant will be expected to take a leading, independent role in First Amendment cases brought in federal and state courts.
Founded in 2005 by former Federal Election Commission Chairman Bradley A. Smith, the Center for Competitive Politics is the nation’s largest organization devoted solely to the protection of the First Amendment’s guarantees of free speech, press, assembly, and petition.
- As directed by CCP’s Legal Director, serve as counsel responsible for all stages of litigation, including: research; discovery; writing correspondence; writing complaints, memoranda, and briefs; motion practice; and court appearances
- Work directly with local counsel and clients
- Assist in writing advocacy materials, including legal backgrounders, blog posts, and opinion articles
- Write or assist with writing legal analysis of legislative, regulatory, and policy initiatives
- A proven ability to litigate cases independently
- We prefer at least 4-6 years of active litigation experience, with an emphasis on discovery and motion practice before the federal district courts; a federal clerkship may substitute for one year of experience; additional litigation experience is a significant plus
- Membership in good standing of a state bar, and eligibility for admission to the bar of the District of Columbia and the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- A meticulously organized and detail-oriented approach to work product, and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- A demonstrated ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, and work variable hours when required
- Strong verbal and interpersonal skills, exceptional writing ability, and an ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- A demonstrated understanding of civil rights and civil liberties issues, particularly in the areas of campaign finance regulation and associational privacy, is a significant plus
- Strong commitment to advancing the mission of the organization
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file:
- Cover letter detailing interest in this position, the mission of the organization, and salary requirements
- Names and contact information of at least three professional references able to speak to the applicant’s litigation experience.
- One writing sample reflecting solely the applicant’s own work
- An unofficial copy of the applicant’s law school transcript (an official copy may be requested before an offer is extended)
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
Please include “Attorney, CCP – Your Name” in the subject line of your email.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.