The Institute for Justice—the National Law Firm for Liberty—seeks an experienced grant writer and manager to grow IJ’s base of foundation funding. The position is ideal for a motivated self-starter who wants to be part of a dynamic and highly productive development team as it raises more than $20 million annually.
- Draft all major project proposals and reports
- Identify and follow through on new foundation support:
- Research prospects to determine areas of mutual interest
- Explore potential for support via phone call and email inquiries to foundation staff
- Draft letters of inquiry and other written materials
- Work with program and accounting staff to develop proposed budgets and measurables
- Manage lifecycle of major and project-specific grants:
- Devise methods to track metrics and deliverables agreed to by IJ and the donor
- Ensure IJ stays on track to meet deliverables
- Provide progress reports, both financial and programmatic, as required by IJ or the donor
- Identify and implement ways that existing foundation donors can increase their involvement in and support of IJ
The ideal candidate will have:
- Proven ability to distill complex information into easy-to-understand and compelling narratives for a variety of audiences
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail
- The ability to juggle multiple tasks, prioritize, and meet deadlines
- A strong philosophical belief in limited government and restoring constitutional limits on government power
- 4-5 years of related experience
- Familiarity with Salesforce is a plus
Qualified candidates should submit:
- Cover letter detailing your salary requirements and how your experience and background will ensure success in the position
- Two to three brief writing samples of 2- to 3-pages each (letters of inquiry and excerpts of proposals are encouraged)
Please include “Director of Grants, IJ – Your Name” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Lauren Skiver with Talent Market who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.