About the Foundation for Research on Equal Opportunity
The Foundation for Research on Equal Opportunity conducts original research on expanding economic opportunity to those who least have it. FREOPP is committed to deploying the nation’s leading scholars and the tools of individual liberty, free enterprise, and technological innovation to serve this mission. All research conducted by FREOPP considers the impact of public policies and proposed reforms on those with incomes or wealth below the U.S. median.
FREOPP was founded in 2016 by Ames Brown and Avik Roy, and includes among its brain trust many of the nation’s leading policy minds, including Kristen Soltis Anderson, Lanhee Chen, Daniel Garza, and Scott Winship.
About the Executive Director Position
The Executive Director is responsible for the day-to-day management of the organization and will wear many hats. Responsibilities include administering, operating and improving all FREOPP’s internal systems; as well as overseeing external activities such as development, outreach, marketing and communications.
This is an unique opportunity for a rising leader to help build the next great free-market think tank.
- Implement, manage, and continuously improve FREOPP’s internal and external operations and systems
- Work closely with the President and EVP to execute FREOPP’s fundraising strategy
- Oversee all development efforts, including authoring grant requests, undertaking donor calls and meetings, maintaining the donor database, etc.
- Oversee organization’s communications and outreach including social media, newsletter generation, proofreading, and marketing strategy
- Serve as key liaison between FREOPP and its board; serve as corporate secretary
- Generate financial reports and assist in managing budget and expenses
- Manage leadership team’s schedules during crisis periods
- Ensure legal compliance
- Office management including order supplies, mailing letters, responding to requests, etc.
The Executive Director will work with FREOPP’s leadership to hire and manage other staff members. The Executive Director reports to the Executive Vice President, Ames Brown.
Our very strong preference is for the Executive Director to be based in Austin, TX. We are happy to cover relocation expenses. For an exceptional candidate, we may consider a Washington, DC location with frequent travel to Austin.
Salary and benefits are highly competitive and commensurate with experience.
- At least 7-10 years of experience working in the nonprofit sector with a proven track record of leadership and management
- Strong project management skills, highly organized, and detail-oriented
- Ability to wear many hats, multi-task, and change gears quickly
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience budgeting and managing finances strongly preferred
- Knowledge of fundraising, communication, and/or outreach a plus
- The gravitas and confidence to interact with high net worth individuals one minute and the humility and work ethic to order office supplies the next
- Working knowledge of the free market movement
- Ability to travel (15%-20% travel)
- Self-starter with ability to thrive in a small office environment with little oversight
- Bachelor’s degree
- Philosophical alignment with FREOPP (belief in the power of individual liberty and free enterprise)
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file:
- Cover letter detailing two successes that illustrate the candidate’s qualifications and salary requirements
- List of references
Please include “ED, FREOPP– Your Name” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Dixon with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.