Audience experience at landmark conferences and events often shapes individuals’ view of a particular company. Whether it’s Disney or Apple, the ability to create world-class experiences can build excitement, credibility, and loyalty for an organization. In its short six-year history, FGA has established a track record of policy education events that are routinely rated as the “best event ever” by the state legislators who attend.
FGA has grown exponentially, from tackling one public policy issue in a handful of states, to now educating leaders in more than thirty states and D.C. on health care, welfare reform, and job creation. This growth and success have created the need for a talented events professional join our team.
The Events and Scheduling Director would be responsible for developing, planning and executing our premier annual Solutions Summit, in which state legislators and executive staff from across the country come together to learn about FGA’s proven solutions to solve pressing societal issues. The Director will also develop, plan, and execute a variety of smaller events for state and federal officials, FGA donors, and other stakeholders, and help prepare our CEO and policy experts for speaking engagements and briefings. In addition, the Director will work alongside along with FGA’s talented team of designers, writers, and marketers.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of:
- Using events to support and achieve a broader strategy for marketing or sales/fundraising, including the ability to determine opportunity costs and discern if events are the best tactic to accomplish the goal
- Taking an event concept and building it into an actionable plan with clear milestones and goals
- Creating event experiences that are fine-tuned to meet the needs of specific audiences
- Having a near-obsessive attention to detail, as well as experience with executing every part of a conference experience, from managing VIP speakers to printing nametags
- Being a strong leader of teams and coalitions, able to get those around him or her focused on a goal and motivated to reach it
- Ability to use technology and data to make events more impactful
- Producing cutting-edge events using the latest techniques in attendee entertainment and engagement
- Managing travel and presentation prep for speakers and/or executives
- Coordinating complex schedules for an organization or team
Foundation for Government Accountability promotes better lives for individuals and families by equipping policymakers with principled strategies to reform failed health and welfare programs nationwide.
Launched in June 2011, FGA is a dynamic and fast-growing free-market think tank headquartered in sunny Naples, Florida, and is known for its world-class team of health care experts and their innovative policy solutions.
The organization’s founder and CEO is Tarren Bragdon, former head of the Maine Heritage Policy Center and a former member of the Maine legislature. Tarren is a renowned expert on health care policy, and under his leadership, the FGA team has led the fight against
ObamaCare’s Medicaid expansion in the states. But his vision also extends to a transformation of our welfare system, with the goal of disrupting the cycle of dependency that takes away hope from generations of Americans.
If you become a part of FGA, you will be joining a flexible, lean, fast-paced organization that expects much from you, but will ensure you are working in your areas of greatest strength and have the freedom to iterate new approaches to achieving the organization’s goals. While many policy organizations focus on a myriad of issues, FGA’s narrow focus on a few issues and its absolute dedication to in-depth planning and message development will create incredible clarity for you. This laser focus and intense preparation greatly increases the organization’s ability to accomplish big goals. And the results are good. FGA has grown at a breakneck pace since its launch six years ago, and now is one of the largest free market state-focused think tanks.
Who should Apply?
The successful applicant for this position will be someone who is passionate about advancing free market ideas, has demonstrated the ability to create successful event strategies, and is adept at managing complex plans. He or she must have a proven track record of harnessing the talents of a strong team to accomplish big goals.
If you’re interested in this role, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you have a strong belief that a free market economic system is the best possible way to relieve poverty and give people the opportunity for a better life?
- Do you believe government has a minimal role to play in providing a welfare safety net for the poor?
- Do you think embracing the realities of politics is essential to advancing public policy ideas?
- Do you wish you could spend time and resources testing out various strategies and learning from the resulting data?
- Does it motivate you to be held to a very high standard of measureable, real-world results achieved?
- Are you ok with making mistakes in order to learn?
- Are you often the person in the room who asks the uncomfortable question that everyone is thinking?
- Do you like having lots of freedom about where and how you work?
- Do you tend to over-communicate with your colleagues and/or friends?
If you answered yes to all these questions, then you will likely be a great fit with the FGA team.
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file:
- Cover letter detailing the top three strengths you’d bring to FGA, why you are interested in joining our team, your availability to relocate to SW Florida, and your salary
- Information either in your cover letter or a separate document describing the types of events you’ve managed. As part of the interview process we will ask for detailed samples of your work, such as production timelines and event experiences, so be prepared to provide those.
Please include “Events, FGA – Your Name” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Lauren Skiver with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.