The Heartland Institute, a 32-year-old national nonprofit research and education organization poised for rapid growth in the coming years, is seeking candidates for the position of Executive Director to replace its founding President, who will be named chairman in early 2018.
Heartland is one of the top ten free-market think tanks in the United States (according to www.thebestschools.org). It is the nation’s leading source of research and commentary for state elected officials, communicating with them nearly one million times in 2015. Heartland is also the world’s most prominent think tank supporting skepticism of man-made climate change (according to The Economist).
Heartland is a national organization housed in its own 13,000+ square-foot building in Arlington Heights, Illinois, an affluent suburb northwest of Chicago. Our building is a short walk from a golf course and forest preserve, affordable housing and good schools. Heartland has a full-time staff of 38 employees, some 30 additional senior fellows and 270 policy advisors. It has an annual budget of approximately $6.0 million, nearly all of which comes from tax-deductible contributions from some 5,000 individuals, foundations, and corporations.
About the Job
The Executive Director will lead Heartland to its next level of growth and influence. To do so, the ideal candidate will have demonstrated success in organizational leadership, fundraising, and communication.
The Executive Director is the chief staff member of the organization and reports to the Chairman of the Board of Directors. The plan is to have the Executive Director become President and CEO after a successful six-month tenure.
This is an incredible opportunity for someone who shares our “heartland values” and wants to live in our nation’s heartland while leading a prominent think tank that is making a significant impact. The new Executive Director will lead an organization with a corporate culture that emphasizes excellence, self-improvement, honesty and fairness, mutual respect, reciprocity, and optimism.
The ideal Executive Director candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Significant management experience, preferably at a nonprofit public policy organization, including a record of inspiring and motivating teams and overseeing major financial decisions, personnel, legal matters, operations, and external relations
- Fundraising experience, including successful donor cultivation and solicitation
- Strong communication skills, including public speaking, writing, and interacting with the media
- Understanding of the Freedom Philosophy and its public policy implications in the areas of budgets and taxes, education, environmental protection, and health care; ideally, the candidate will be a thought leader in one or more of these topics areas
The Executive Director will be responsible for the following:
- Leadership: The Executive Director will drive a strategic vision with a clear focus on execution of Heartland’s mission and principles. This requires excellent strategic thinking, including the ability to help define the future goals and make the appropriate decisions to get there.
- Fundraising: As the chief fundraiser, the Executive Director is responsible for ensuring Heartland has the financial resources it needs to be successful. The Executive Director will work with a development team to drive a diverse fundraising program including individual major gifts, foundation, and corporate support.
- Communication: The Executive Director will be an charismatic public speaker and be able to effectively articulate Heartland’s ideas and strategies to a wide variety of target audiences.
Compensation will be competitive and based on experience and qualifications. Heartland offers health insurance and a 401(k) plan.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF with your name in the file:
- Cover letter explaining:
- What makes Heartland attractive to you, including your philosophical interest in our mission
- An overview of your management experience, fundraising experience, and evidence of being an advocate for the free-market principles espoused by Heartland
- Salary requirements
- A list of at least four professional references who can attest to the material presented by the candidate
Please include “Executive Director, Heartland – Your Name” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Dixon, executive director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.