The Kansas Policy Institute seeks a staff economist to conduct original research on a broad range of economic and public policy issues at the state and local levels. This position will have excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to communicate complex economic policy ideas in a meaningful way to Kansans from all walks of life. The ideal candidate will have a passion for helping more Kansans understand that KPI’s principles allow every Kansan to achieve prosperity and have a shot at their American Dream.
As a staff economist, this position will help develop and fulfill KPI’s mission of advocating for the constitutional principles of limited government and personal freedom as they relate to the drivers of economic growth within Kansas. This position will play a key role in developing the research topics and publications for the only free market think tank in the state.
Duties for this role will include but are not limited to;
- Help develop and fulfill KPI economic research agenda in coordination with organizational leadership;
- Effectively communicate KPI research findings and recommendations to elected officials, the media, and the public;
- Author and edit a variety of publications, including longer research studies and short written pieces (briefs, opinion pieces, blog posts, and etc.) for publication by KPI, coalition partners, and other print media;
- Represent KPI at events and speaking engagements, as well as through print and broadcast media.
Qualified candidates will have:
- Undergraduate degree in economics or related field of study; A Master’s degree is preferred but not required;
- Strong skills in economic and policy analysis;
- The ability to manage multiple projects and tasks at the same time;
- Flexibility to help across other organizational functions as part of a small organizational team;
- Strong communication skills with demonstrated ability to explain complex issues in easily understood terms through longer research publications, short written pieces, and through print and broadcast media;
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to the ideals of limited government, economic freedom, and personal liberty;
- 0-5 years of experience in public policy analysis with experience communicating that analysis, may substitute professional experience with academic work.
The staff economist will be based in KPI’s Overland Park (Kansas City Metro) or Wichita offices. A virtual office within the state of Kansas is possible for the right candidate. The position will report to KPI’s Vice President and Policy Director with daily interaction with the organization’s President. Salary commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF file:
- A cover letter detailing:
- your philosophical interest in Kansas Policy Institute,
- your salary requirements, and
- your preferred location within Kansas.
- A writing sample aimed at a mass audience that argues for/against a public policy issue (i.e., op-ed, press release, blog post). Between 500-1000 words.
Please include “Economist – Your Name” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Lauren Skiver with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.
About Kansas Policy Institute (www.kansaspolicy.org)
KPI is an independent think-tank that advocates for free market solutions and the protection of personal freedom for all Kansans. Our work centers on state and local economic policy with primary emphasis on education, fiscal policy and health care. We empower citizens, legislators, and other government officials with objective research and creative ideas to promote a low-tax, pro-growth environment that preserves the ability of governments to provide high quality services.