The Competitive Enterprise Institute seeks a public relations professional capable of managing, evaluating, and executing media outreach efforts for a free-market public policy group. This is a permanent, full-time position. CEI’s office is located in downtown Washington, D.C.
CEI’s Director of Media Relations will serve as a senior member of a collaborative and motivated seven-member communications team at an energetic and feisty think tank. The successful candidate will work closely with members of CEI’s policy teams to build awareness for our organization, our scholars, and our research by developing and implementing the organization’s media strategies. The ideal candidate will have at least seven years of experience in public relations, strategic communications, or a related field and demonstrate the ability to build key relationships with television, radio and print journalists. This position will report to CEI’s Vice President of Communications.
- Work with policy and communication team members to develop and implement media strategies that promote CEI’s work and contribute to a positive brand image for the organization
- Work with the communications team to create and maintain a targeted and proactive pitching strategy that increases CEI’s presence in both conservative and mainstream TV, radio and print outlets
- Coach communication team members and policy staff on how to develop compelling and effective messages, providing media training and feedback before and after interviews
- Manage CEI’s media tracking and reporting process to ensure the communications team is regularly reviewing and altering media strategies using accurate data
- Assist with the development and distribution of supplemental communications products including but not limited to opeds, videos, infographics, and other marketing materials
- Consult with communications team members to ensure CEI’s website, social media channels and marketing emails are promoting CEI’s most relevant work and messages that are consistent with CEI’s overall objectives
- Manage and/or mentor junior media staff and interns
Qualifications & Skills:
- 7+ years of strategic communications, public relations, or journalism experience, majority of experience working with media, preferred
- In-depth understanding of traditional and new media and how to use each effectively in an integrated marketing plan
- A commitment to free-market principles, free enterprise, and limited government; experience working on regulatory issues, a plus
- Ability to communicate complex ideas to a variety of audiences and tell a compelling story
- Strong project management skills and ability to multi-task, set priorities, and execute a comprehensive media strategy
- Public speaking and spokesperson experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-starter attitude, detailed-oriented, and able to work under tight deadlines
- Culture matters—must be team-oriented and contribute to CEI’s fun, collegial work environment
- Commitment to professionalism, confidentiality, innovation, and continuous learning
- Experience managing and developing staff a plus
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
The Competitive Enterprise Institute is a non-profit public policy organization dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty. Our mission is to promote both freedom and fairness by making good policy good politics. We make the uncompromising case for economic freedom because we believe it is essential for entrepreneurship, innovation, and prosperity to flourish. Unique among free market groups, CEI pursues a full-service approach to advancing public policy: research, advocacy, coalition-building, and litigation. Founded in 1984, CEI has grown into an effective advocate for freedom on a wide range of critical policy issues: energy, environment, finance, labor, technology, telecommunications, and food and drug regulation.
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your full name in the file name:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in this position/mission of CEI and your salary requirements
- Two writing samples (no longer than 2 pages each)
Please include “Director of Media Relations, CEI–[Your Name]” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.