The Texas Public Policy Foundation is a 501(c)3 non-profit, non-partisan research institute.The Foundation’s mission is to promote and defend liberty, personal responsibility, and free enterprise in Texas and the nation by educating and affecting policymakers and the Texas public policy debate with academically sound research and outreach.Funded by thousands of individuals, foundations, and corporations, the Foundation does not accept government funds or contributions to influence the outcomes of its research.The public is demanding a different direction for their government, and the Texas Public Policy Foundation is providing the ideas that enable policymakers to chart that new course.The Foundation is guided by these principles:
- Personal Responsibility
- Free Enterprise
About the Opening
TPPF seeks an experienced Controller to oversee all financial and administrative aspects of the foundation. Namely, this person will work with our senior leadership to drive the foundation’s financial strategy and planning. This position will be responsible for assessing the financial performance of the company as well as possible risks related to finance/accounting and HR.
Most importantly, the person we are looking for will be a servant leader, a strategic thinker, and a “doer” who is motivated by the Foundation’s mission and entrepreneurial spirit.
Responsibilities and Duties
Finance & Accounting
- Develop and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports that are in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures
- Oversee the annual audit and tax filings and liaise with the Board and the auditors as necessary
- Develop and maintain financial accounting systems
- Manage and prepare the annual budget in consultation with leadership
- Assist Development team with the preparation of budgets for funding applications
- Oversee the bookkeeping functions including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable/receivable, etc.
- Assist the Chief Operating Officer with financial reporting as required for Board meetings and Annual Report
- Oversee all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner
Human Resources & Administration
- Manage the employee insurance and benefits plans
- Advise the organization’s leadership on appropriate insurance coverage for the organization and the Board
- Oversee and supervise all administrative functions and employees of the organization
- Monitor all legislation relevant to the organization (employment standards, occupation health and safety, etc.) and all regulations to ensure that the organization remains compliant
- 3-5+ years of experience
- BSc/BA in accounting, finance or relevant field; MSc/MA and/or a CPA designation is a plus
- Proven experience as controller or similar role preferred
- Knowledge of nonprofit finance and accounting principles, laws and best practices preferred but not required
- A servant leader with previous management experience preferred
- Solid knowledge of financial analysis and forecasting
- Proficient in the use of MS Office and financial management software (e.g. QBO)
- An analytical mind with a strategic ability
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities
The Texas Public Policy Foundation is a non-profit, non-partisan research institute offering competitive salaries and benefits to qualified candidates.
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your full name in the file name:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position and salary requirements
- List of 3+ references
PDF applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: http://talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions about the opening can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.