The Competitive Enterprise Institute seeks a passionate, innovative, and entrepreneurial digital strategist to lead our organization’s online promotion and engagement efforts.
CEI’s Director of Digital Marketing will be responsible for elevating and managing our organization’s brand profile in the digital space. Working with a creative and aggressive communications team, this position will develop, execute, and continue to refine a digital strategy that promotes CEI’s policy work and advances CEI’s mission and goals. This includes developing targeted, persuasive, and compelling digital content to support our issue advocacy campaigns. The ideal candidate will have a strong knowledge of online marketing and advertising tools and platforms, excellent project and staff management skills, and experience translating complex policy issues into accessible, eye-catching materials for the average consumer.
- Establish and drive a digital strategy that supports CEI’s policy agenda by setting ambitious growth and engagement metrics and overseeing plans for reaching them.
- Collaborate with CEI’s communications team and scholars to better understand CEI’s policy areas and develop compelling and creative digital content to promote CEI’s mission and goals.
- Develop the online components to CEI’s issue advocacy campaigns, including content – messages, graphics, and video – and plans to target, educate, and motivate CEI’s key audiences using paid media.
- Oversee CEI’s digital properties, campaigns, and products to ensure brand alignment and message consistency. This includes: CEI.org, social media channels, email marketing system, and content for external digital platforms.
- Coach CEI’s communications team members in digital marketing best practices. Develop digital staff talent and capabilities. This includes identifying digital needs and new roles.
- Use analytics and data to measure marketing messages and efforts across digital platforms. Advise the communications team on how to improve messaging and marketing strategies based on performance.
- Direct and manage the allocation of the digital team’s resources, including internal personnel and external vendors, to existing and new digital projects.
- Embrace the entrepreneurial perspective: test, analyze, and adjust as needed to increase effectiveness. Study digital media trends and pitch new tools and tactics for increasing CEI’s presence in the digital space.
Qualifications & Skills:
- At least 6-8 years of relevant work experience in digital marketing and content creation
- A thorough understanding of the digital marketing landscape, from the components of an effective website to how to create and run a compelling Facebook ad campaign or email fundraising effort
- A deep knowledge of both the high-level strategies and day-to-day tactics that lead to success across various platforms; experience running digital marketing campaigns through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google (and other search), display networks, and other digital channels
- Proven ability to effectively segment, target, and motivate distinct audiences
- Exceptional analytical skills, experience using analytics platforms including Google Analytics and creating reports for stakeholders
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; detail-oriented
- Excellent project and vendor management skills managing multiple deadlines in fast-paced environment
- Ability to communicate complex ideas to a variety of audiences and tell a good, compelling story
- Commitment to professionalism, confidentiality, innovation, and continuous learning
- Ability to work successfully in a team environment, as well as independently, and to exercise sound professional judgment
- An understanding, appreciation, and passion for communicating about individual and economic freedom
- Bachelor’s Degree required; knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite preferred
- Management experience a plus
- This is a permanent, full-time position. CEI’s office is located in downtown Washington, D.C.
- Culture matters. CEI is a feisty think tank led by a forward-thinking President/CEO. Members of the CEI team live by principles, work hard, have a good sense of humor, enjoy life, and are dedicated to the success of a growing organization.
- This position will be a critical member of a collaborative and motivated seven-member communications team and reports to CEI’s Senior Director of Communications.
The Competitive Enterprise Institute is a non-profit public policy organization dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty. Our mission is to promote both freedom and fairness by making good policy good politics. We make the uncompromising case for economic freedom because we believe it is essential for entrepreneurship, innovation, and prosperity to flourish. Unique among free market groups, CEI pursues a full-service approach to advancing public policy. Founded in 1984, CEI has grown into an effective advocate for freedom on a wide range of critical policy issues, including energy, environment, business and finance, technology, telecommunications, and food and drug regulation.
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file:
- Cover letter OR short video detailing your sincere interest in this position, the organization, and salary requirements
- A list of 3 professional references and 1-2 additional personal references including name, title, email, phone number, and one sentence explaining your connection to the reference
- Two portfolio samples:
- Please submit one writing sample – not to exceed three total pages – that was written and edited by you alone.
- Please also submit one creative work – website, graphic, video, or other online communication – that you created or collaborated on. Please be specific about your contribution to the work.
Please include “Digital Marketing Director, CEI – Your Name” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Dixon with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.