Georgia Center for Opportunity is independent and non-partisan and dedicated to creating opportunities for a quality education, fulfilling work, and a healthy family life for all Georgians. We study and understand the obstacles along these pathways and work to break through the barriers that keep individuals and families from thriving. By following our innovative Breakthrough process, GCO researches and develops solutions that address barriers to opportunity, promotes solutions to policymakers and the public, and helps innovative social enterprises deliver results on the ground.
With offices in Peachtree Corners of metro Atlanta, GCO is a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and highly collaborative environment. We have an opening for a Communications Manager who is a self-starter, enjoys working with a team, loves new challenges and, above all else, desires to enrich the lives of other people.
The Communications Manager is responsible for managing and executing on the organization’s communications strategy and its day-to-day communications needs.
- Identify and develop the use of innovative technologies that will best support GCO’s mission and overall strategic direction.
- In coordination with GCO staff, execute a communications plan to build an alumni network of participants from past GCO working groups, Fellowship program, town halls, trainings, and delivery projects.
- Coordinate the participation of GCO staff in thought leadership opportunities (e.g., conferences, speaking engagements, authoring of articles, media engagement).
- Identify significant media and publicity opportunities to leverage and promote GCO’s program work.
- Create and implement media outreach plans.
- Manage key media relationships, placement of articles, and other forms of GCO expert commentary across media outlets.
- Oversee organizational responses to media inquiries about GCO and our work.
Website and Blog
- In partnership with other team members, as needed, further develop GCO’s website to maximize its value as the primary platform for providing information and engaging with the public.
- Ensure website content is accurate, timely, engaging, and consistent with GCO’s strategic objectives.
- Understand and utilize web data analytics to inform decisions and add value to GCO’s mission.
- Manage all aspects of blog operations including maintaining and disseminating blog guidelines, coordinating the schedule of regular and guest bloggers, processing blog posts, selecting and posting appropriate images, and providing tech support to others as needed.
- Work with internal staff to identify and recruit guest bloggers.
Social Media and Email
- Manage GCO’s presence on social media platforms: including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn to enhance and leverage the value of those platforms for GCO.
- Identify new social media platforms as appropriate for inclusion in our overall social media strategy.
- Determine strategic use of email in campaigns, manage email execution, identify and implement email integration with CRM platform (Salesforce).
- Manage action alerts platform in conjunction with GCO’s Policy Advancement team.
Communications Management and Reporting
- Work with other GCO staff as needed to create content for all communications channels that is well conceived, well written, and engaging.
- Work with outside vendors as needed to design and develop print and electronic materials.
- Work with the leadership team to ensure communications projects are on track and GCO has the necessary resources including technology to support the implementation of the communications plan.
- Partner with GCO’s Development Manager to ensure that Salesforce supports GCO’s communications efforts and that contact data is accurate and up to date.
- Report on communications plan and campaign performance.
- Minimum three years of relevant communications experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to and alignment with GCO’s core values and strategic principles.
- Experience utilizing websites, email, social media and print material to engage multiple audiences and achieve desired results.
- Demonstrated ability to curate content for digital communications.
- Ability and willingness to work independently and in teams, take initiative, and think creatively.
- Project management skills, including a strong attention to detail, the ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills essential, including a proven ability to communicate in a succinct and engaging manner. Copy editing proficiency required.
- Ability to define, communicate and implement a design sensibility throughout all of GCO’s external facing communications.
- Knowledge of WordPress preferred.
- Experience working with Salesforce is a plus.
GCO offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience. GCO provides employees with access to excellent benefits: health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401k plan, life insurance, and accrued vacation and sick leave. This position also offers the right candidate significant opportunities for professional development and growth.
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file:
- Cover letter detailing your sincere interest in this position/the mission of GCO and your salary requirements
- Two professional references
- Recent writing sample (e.g., appeal letter, published article, blog post)
Please include “Comms, GCO – Your Name” in the subject line of your email. Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Dixon with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.