The Yankee Institute for Public Policy seeks an individual to oversee its public and media relations efforts. Yankee Institute is a nonpartisan free-market think tank that develops and advances policies that promote smart, limited government; fairness for taxpayers; and an open road to opportunity for all the people of Connecticut. The communications director responds to media inquiries, maintains relationships with journalists and promotes Yankee Institute products and initiatives to the media. This position is located at Yankee Institute headquarters in Hartford, Connecticut. The position requires occasional travel.
- Direct all marketing and communications efforts, which include publications and their distribution, promotional materials, community outreach and relations, media relations, digital outreach and brand management;
- Develop, oversee and execute public education and outreach campaigns, working with contractors as appropriate;
- Work closely with Yankee staff, especially policy team, to develop and execute media relations strategy and messaging;
- Proactively safeguard Yankee’s brand;
- Develop and maintain relationships with journalists, columnists, editors and producers to enhance and sustain Yankee’s reputation as a credible source of information and analysis;
- Respond to media inquiries, coordinate interviews and ensure timely response;
- Craft and pitch stories to print, broadcast and online journalists;
- Write and issue compelling press releases, media advisories, statements and letters-to-the editor and assisting with grant proposals and reports as appropriate;
- Identify opportunities to place timely and relevant stories/op-eds in national, state and local media;
- Coordinate and conduct editorial board meetings;
- Coordinate and conduct press events, and assist in planning/promotion of policy and program events;
- Maintain a database of journalists, editors, producers and others in print, broadcast and online media outlets;
- Work cooperatively with Yankee Institute investigative reporter;
- Help write, edit, format and/or proofread as needed Yankee Institute publications, and assist in the preparation of publications and materials as needed;
- Maintain media relations guidelines for staff;
- Develop ad placement strategy as required.
- Demonstrated ability as a media spokesperson
- Three or more years of relevant professional experience
- An understanding of and commitment to free-market solutions to public policy problems
- Excellent written communications skills
- Demonstrated commitment to accuracy and clarity
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in parallel, meet deadlines and work effectively under time pressure
- Proactive and entrepreneurial approach
- Demonstrated ability with social media / innovative practices and technologies
- Experience in the public policy or political sectors is preferred
Compensation is commensurate with ability and experience.
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your full name in the file name:
- Cover letter describing your alignment with Yankee Institute’s mission and your salary requirements
- Writing sample
Please include “Comms, Yankee – Your Name” in the subject line of your email. Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Dixon with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.