The Mississippi Center for Public Policy (MCPP) has a mission to advance the ideals of limited government, free markets and strong families by influencing public policy, informing the media, and equipping the public with information and perspective to help them understand and defend their liberty.
After 25 years of advancing these causes, MCPP is entering into a new era of greater leadership in the lives of all Mississippians across the Magnolia State. We are preparing to fully leverage our past policy accomplishments and to accelerate our advocacy so we can take on the enemies of liberty – in whatever form they take. Whenever and wherever entrepreneurs, parents, families and citizens are prevented from reaching for the lives they have imagined, we’ll be on the job aggressively defending those Mississippians – including taking action to protect constitutional rights through the Mississippi Justice Institute.
We are building a team of professional patriots – a talented and hard-working group of folks who want to make a difference for liberty and be part of a fast-moving organization dedicated to getting things done in Mississippi and beyond. If you’ve got skills, initiative and spunk and you believe in free market solutions, we should talk.
About the Opening
MCPP is currently searching for a Communications Director to oversee the organization’s communications efforts.
The Communications Director will work closely with the CEO to develop and implement a strategic communications plan. The Director will also work with the VP for Policy and the Director of the Mississippi Justice Institute to develop strategies to articulate MCPP’s work to its supporters, policymakers, media, and the general public. The Director will be in the enviable position of having a robust and diverse portfolio of work to push to audiences, including MCPP’s policy agenda and its Justice Center, as well as its CEO’s involvement in corporate, sports and culture wars.
The ideal Communications Director will want to aggressively push MCPP’s work/content to new places and new levels of local, regional and national success, including media appearances, op-eds, commentary, and speaking engagements. The Director will also explore new distribution channels (digital platforms, podcasts, apps, social media, collaborations, etc.) along with other unique and aggressive ways to push/promote MCPP’s content.
The Director will be based in Jackson, where MCPP is headquartered.
- Oversee all of the organization’s communications efforts; implement the strategic communications plan
- Identify and build relationships with media; manage all media contacts
- Build relationships with journalists across the state, region, and nation in an effort to expand the MCPP’s media coverage
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic material including press releases, newsletters, articles, and website content
- Oversee webpage maintenance; ensure that information is accurate, dynamic, and engaging
- Oversee a robust social media program
- Consistently explore new avenues for distribution, including digital platforms, podcasts, apps, social media, collaborations, etc.
- 3-5+ years of experience in communications, public relations, marketing, journalism, or a related field; experience in a policy setting a plus
- Understanding of traditional and new communications techniques
- Technical proficiency with digital/social media
- Eye for good design; experience with design and layout software a plus
- Alignment with MCPP’s mission; passion for limited government and free markets
- Strong organizational skills and detail-orientation; ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Solid writing and copy-editing experience; strong oral communications skills
- Entrepreneurial spirit; desire to learn and grow
- Positive attitude and eagerness to work as a member of a high energy/high growth team
- Competitive spirit; desire to succeed; commitment to excellence
- Preference for action and initiative
- Aversion to drama, procrastination, and other unproductive activities
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your full name in the file name:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position and salary requirements
- 2-3 writing samples (for which the candidate was solely responsible for writing) preferably related to public policy
Please include “Communications Director, MCPP–[Your Name]” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.