Columnist George Will has said, “The Goldwater Institute is simply in the liberty business, and there’s no institution in the country that performs that business better.”
The Goldwater Institute is in search of a Communications Director. The Director will be responsible for creating specific media strategies that promote and advance our policy initiatives and legal casework and position our issues around the news of the day.
Ideally, the Communications Director will be based in Phoenix. However, Goldwater will consider a virtual office for a strong candidate. A Washington, DC or New York City location would be especially advantageous.
Essential Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Develop and implement media plans and strategies for the Institute’s policy initiatives, litigation activities, and research.
- Build and lead the communications team.
- Promote policy priorities and position the Institute as a key resource to journalists in all mediums. Ensure Goldwater Institute and its’ associates are regularly featured in local and national media platforms as experts in public policy. This will include booking radio and television shows, developing profile print stories, and placing op-eds.
- Build and maintain relationships with national and strategic media outlets including online news sites and continue to cultivate the Institute’s reputation as leader in our field for media.
- Identify and respond to the ever-changing news cycle and seek opportunities to market the Institute’s initiatives in a relevant manner.
- Effectively communicate the Institute’s messages in press releases, statements, op-eds, and critical communication materials announcing research, investigations, and lawsuits.
- Establish and execute effective social media campaigns based on targeted issues to create awareness and gain a wider following from the media, supporters, and the general public.
- Develop and manage Communications budget.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in communications or public relations.
- Passion and commitment to the Goldwater Institute’ mission.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications or relevant field.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated record of maintaining and fostering relationships with media outlets, reporters, editors, etc.
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file:
- Cover letter detailing your sincere interest in this position/the mission of Goldwater and salary requirements
Please include “Communications Director, Goldwater – Your Name” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Dixon, executive director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.