The Empire Center for Public Policy (EC) seeks a Communications Director to plan, oversee and execute the Center’s communications, marketing and outreach strategy and activities. The Communications Director will work closely with the Center’s Executive Director and Director of Development to maximize the publicity and earned media of each project.
A minimum of at least three years in political or governmental communications, journalism, or corporate advertising or marketing, is a must for this job. A bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- exercising primary responsibility for creating and implementing the Center’s short- and long-term communications and marketing strategy, media relations and publications schedule;
- developing and implementing a social media communication and marketing program;
- booking TV and radio interviews and placing op-eds for EC staff;
- securing TV, radio and print news coverage for EC’s reports, release, events, press conferences and strategic initiatives;
- creating new and managing existing contacts with media;
- assisting in preparing fundraising materials and grant applications;
- coordinating webpage maintenance; and
- editing and assisting in the writing of reports, articles and other materials prepared by other Empire Center researchers and staff.
- exceptionally strong writing ability, including the ability to turn out clear, clean and concise copy on tight deadlines;
- familiarity with common PC and/or Mac software, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- proficiency in using the internet, including social media;
- general knowledge of and interest in the public policy issues on which the Empire Center focuses; and
- an affinity with the Empire Center’s free-market approach to the public policy challenges facing New York State.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF with your name in the file title:
- cover letter detailing:
- candidate background;
- interest in the position;
- a compelling case for why the applicant would excel in this position; and
- salary requirements
- two writing samples; and
- at least two references.
Please include “Comms Director, Empire – Your Name” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Lauren Skiver with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.