The Commonwealth Foundation is among the most effective and influential state-based think tanks in the country. With a top-notch team of policy analysts and communication experts, CF transforms free-market ideas into public policies so all Pennsylvanians can flourish.
Our research and advocacy have led to lower taxes on working Pennsylvanians, greater transparency in state government spending and contracts, criminal justice reform that reduced both prison population and crime, and increased educational options for thousands of students.
Our work is driven by our core values of:
- Treating everyone with dignity,
- Stewardship of our investors’ time and treasure, and
- Pursuing productive solutions to problems.
We are looking for an experienced, talented, and committed individual to support our team and lead our media outreach. The Senior Communications Officer will work closely with the Directors of Communications and Marketing to boost the organization’s capacity and effectiveness in news media along with social media.
The Officer will report to the Director of Communications.
Media Relations (70%)
- Build relationships with select TV, radio, and print reporters to expand positive coverage of CF’s priority issues statewide, with particular emphasis on Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.
- Act as primary media contact, handling media inquiries and coordinating interviews with appropriate staff.
- Continually research media decision maker’ priorities and tailor outreach accordingly.
- Localize CF’s priority issues to regions and media outlets across the state.
- Track and analyze media presence.
- Assist in writing and distributing press releases.
- Craft persuasive talking points and prepare staff for media appearances.
Social Media (30%)
- Manage the daily posting of content on Facebook and Twitter, as well as monitoring and responding to comments as necessary.
- Assist the Director of Marketing in planning, managing, and executing social media strategy that supports CF’s communication and policy goals.
- Utilize social media to promote and grow other communication platforms, including and magazine subscribers.
- Oversee personal brand-building social media strategy for CF employees.
- 2-5 years of experience for officer level, 5-10 years of experience for director level; experience focused in media relations, marketing, communications, or related professional work
- Familiarity with social media.
- People-savvy, well-organized, both a team player and a self-starter, and a creative problem solver.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Share a commitment to the free-market principles of CF.
- Monthly stipend for health care
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance.
- Reimbursements for needed mobile technology.
- Matching SIMPLE IRA plan.
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF with your name in the file:
- A cover letter detailing your experience, your interest in/passion for the organization’s mission, and your salary requirements
- Brief writing sample
Please include “Communications, CF – Your Name” in the subject line of your email. Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Lauren Skiver with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.