The Director of Media Relations develops and implements strategic communication plans for the Institute’s robust research portfolio and on-the-ground work. This person is expected to drive local and national media strategies for key institutional priorities, individual scholar brands, and the entirety of MI’s research portfolio. This person should possess a high-level ability to identify trends and opportunities that can make news and ultimately position our experts as a go-to resource.
The position requires excellent management skills, relentless attention to detail, high-level strategic planning, top tier writing and editing skills, superior judgment, a proven track record of successful project management, an ability to translate policy issues into layman’s terms, and a journalist’s knack for obsessively following the news and identifying a good story. A comprehensive understanding of public policy is crucial. The Director of Media Relations would manage about 5 press officers and work closely with the director of marketing and various members of our Senior Staff.
This position will be located in Manhattan Institute’s New York City office and at this time, it is not open to a virtual office option.
- Directly supervising a team of five
- Overseeing the development and execution of media strategies for report releases, breaking news, and long-lead branding/image pitching.
- Leveraging strong and existing network of media contacts at national and local levels for both print and broadcast.
- Identifying opportunities in the news cycle to promote our fellows and research
- Activating the press team to execute on high level communication plans that get the most exposure for our work, our scholars, and the Institute
- Keeping projects with a media component on track and making sure the “trains run on time”
- Reporting back to Senior Staff on reach and effectiveness of media efforts and plans
- Collaborating with Director of Marketing to identify opportunities for videos, infographics, events, and digital campaigns.
- Ability to find and develop new key audiences for the Institute to reach.
- Reporting up to the VP of Communications and Marketing on press office activities
- 5-10 years of experiencein communications and marketing
- Management experience
- A strong attention to detail
- the ability to juggle multiple high-priority projects at once
- A strong understanding of public policy and a philosophical understanding of Manhattan Institute’s mission
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file:
- Cover letter detailing:
- your salary requirements
- why you are interested in the position, the organizations mission, and how your experience and background will ensure success
- your availability to work in New York City
Please include “Media Relations, MI – Your Name” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Lauren Skiver with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.